Botataung Pagoda - Downtown Yangon in Myanmar.
One particular item of interest which ended with a satisfactory conclusion concerned the Mandalay Royal Palace's Buddha's Bronze image. This was cast in gold, silver, bronze, iron and lead during 1859 under the royal order of King Mindon of Myanmar. Within the Buddha's image statue there were enshrined several Buddha's sacred relics.
When British forces took over Upper Myanmar they
captured the Royal Palace and typical of those times the Royal Palace Bronze image was taken to Great Britain. Having been on display at the Victoria and Albert Museum for many years the image was then returned to Myanmar on the 17th of June 1951 - and is now on display at the Pagoda.
Within the complex there is a nice tank which contains terrapins, various Buddha statues and brightly coloured glass shrines. Also in the courtyard there is another colourful but small Tooth Relic Pagoda.
Outside the Pagoda along the road there are the usual stalls selling flowers, candles and brightly coloured ornaments - also they sell fish food to take inside for the terrapins.
A short walk from the Pagoda leads down to the river - actually this is one of the few places in Yangon where you can get down to see the river. In the area there
are seats and cafes - also stalls and hawkers selling bags of food for the gulls. Feeding the gulls is a daily occurence which usually occurs in the late afteroon - a very interesting thing to watch or even participate in. Note that down by the river and also outside the Pagoda there are usually plenty of taxis available to get you back to somewhere.
Our other items about touring and sightseeing at Yangon in Myanmar:
- Yangon Myanmar Travel and Touring Guides
- Visiting Yangon - Yangon airport, taxis, climate, getting around in the City, taxis and buses, hotels, eating out, where to stay.
- Visiting the Shwedagon Pagoda and Stupa in Yangon Myanmar
- Going to see the golden Shwedagon Pagoda, Sein Ma Pu Pray Hall, Shwedagon, Htidaw Photos, Chanthagyi Buddha, Chinthes.
- Looking round Sule Pagoda in Downtown Yangon
- Sule Pagoda in Myanmar - sightseeing round the old golden Buddhist Sule Pagoda and Chedi in Central Yangon - photos.
- Sightseeing and Photos from around Yangon in Myanmar
- Central Yangon sightseeing guide and photos, looking at old colonial buildings, Yangon River, Mosques, Temples and Gardens.
- Myanmar travel, touring and sightseeing guides and photos
- Our above Home Page shows all of our items about Myanmar covering Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake.
Other destinations in the Far East which are reasonably easy to reach from Myanmar and for which we have travel and touring guides are Cambodia, Laos, China, Thailand and Vietnam - please see our above Home Page for these or visit our Resources Page