A Local Bike Ride at Nyaung Shwe.
This fairly short Bike Ride from Nyaung Shwe is straightforward and flat - it goes out into the Burmese countryside and visits a couple of monasteries, pagodas and villages.
There is nowhere to get any drinks or food on this ride so remember to take such with you - especially some drinks and wear a hat. Note this bike ride is about 3.5kms in length and it does or can be very hot and dusty out on the fields and paths.
Starting from Cross Tiek Nan Bridge go over it (i.e. away from town) and follow the road which bends sharp left and
continue along as it goes beside the Nan Chaung Canal passing stilt houses on the left and a small canal and fields on the right. The first part of this bike ride is mostly tree-lined therefore quite shady and pleasant to cycle along.[ Clicking the thumbnails will open a much larger picture - use the back button to return to this page. ]
The monastery is set in paddy-fields and has several small pagodas nearbye - also an old well which is still used by the villagers. The whole area is a beautiful sight. The teak Monastery was once used as a school especially for poor children but is now just occupied by a single monk.
Visitors are very welcome and he will be only too pleased to show people around and explain all about the monastery and so on. It should be noted that he will not ask at all for any donation but visitors really should give him something to help support the monastery.
From here return back along the tracks to the road then turn right and follow the road back to Tiek Nan Bridge. The above is just the basic way round however there are many more tracks and field-paths around this area many of which cyclists might want to go off onto for a bit of exploring.
Our other items about Inle Lake and Nyaung Shwe - including a couple nice bike rides.
- Inle Lake and Nyaung Shwe travel and visitor guide - Myanmar
- Nyaung Shwe and Inle Lake in Myanmar touring guide - travelling there (Heho), things to do, bike rides, Inle Lake boat trips.
- Cycle ride to Shwe Yan Pyay Monastery near Nyaung Shwe
- Visiting the wooden Shwe Yan Pyay Monastery, Myanmar - cycling from Nyaung Shwe via beautiful Burmese countryside.
- Nyaung Shwe, Maing Yhauk, Inle Lake, Kaung Daing circular bike ride
- Bike Ride from Nyaung Shwe Myanmar going via Maing Yhauk, Inle Lake, Kaung Daing seeing stilt houses and floating gardens.
- Inle Lake in Myanmar on a longtail boat trip
- Inle Lake long-tail boat ride looking at Pagodas (Phaung Daw Oo Paya, Nga Hpe Kyaung), Stilt-houses, floating farms.
- Myanmar travel, touring and sightseeing guides and photos
- Our above Home Page shows all of our items about Myanmar covering Yangon, Mandalay and Bagan.
Other destinations in the Far East which are reasonably easy to reach from Myanmar and for which we have travel and touring guides are Cambodia, Laos, China, Thailand and Vietnam - please see our above Home Page for these or visit our Resources Page